Do I need insurance for my motorhome or campervan?


Having adequate insurance cover in place for your motorhome or campervan is a legal requirement, as it is for any motorised vehicle that drives on public roads.

Motorhomes and campervans can be significant investments and specialist insurance will help protect your vehicle against damage, theft, or accidents.

Swift motorhome insurance cover

The cost of insurance depends on factors such as the vehicle’s age, type and size as well as the owner’s personal details and driving history. Your annual mileage and where you keep your motorhome or campervan may also affect the cost.

According to Compare the Market, 51% of their customers were quoted less than £424.80 for motorhome insurance in February 2024. Go Compare offer several ways you might be able to save on your motorhome or campervan cover:

  • Paying for your insurance annually usually means it’ll be cheaper
  • Consider security devices like alarms and wheel clamps
  • Getting advanced driving qualifications could get you a discount
  • Park somewhere safe, use your garage or driveway if you have one as parking on the road comes with extra risks
  • Only buy the extra insurance add-ons you need
  • Compare insurance quotes to get the best deal for you

It’s also important when considering modifications to your motorhome or campervan, to inform your insurance provider about any changes you plan to make. Failure to disclose modifications could invalidate your policy, leaving you without coverage in the event of a claim.

Modifications to any vehicle can be costlier to insure, but if your motorhome’s heavily modified or you have fitted it out from scratch, insurers who specialise in camper refurbs might be able to offer better value cover.

Here are some key aspects of motorhome insurance:

Liability coverage
Liability coverage protects you if you're found legally responsible for injuring someone else or damaging their property while using your motorhome or campervan.

Personal belongings
Some insurance policies for motorhomes or campervans also cover personal belongings inside the vehicle, which can be important if you have valuable items such as jewellery, electronics, clothing, and other items stored in your camper.

Peace of mind
Knowing you're financially protected with having the right insurance in case of unexpected accidents or unforeseen events can give you peace of mind, allowing you to enjoy your camping adventures.

Jo Mitchell

"Consider your usage and estimate your annual mileage accurately as some insurers offer discounts for lower mileage. If you only use your motorhome or campervan for part of the year, some insurers offer seasonal policies. Storing your motorhome in a secure location, such as a locked garage or secure storage facility, can also lower your premium."

Jo Mitchell, Marketing Director at Swift

Comprehensive coverage
Motorhome or campervan insurance typically includes comprehensive coverage, which protects against damage to your vehicle from events like accidents, vandalism, theft, fire, or weather-related incidents.

Emergency assistance
Some policies include coverage for roadside assistance, towing, and emergency repairs, which can be particularly important when you're travelling long distances in your vehicle. It ensures that help is available when you need it most, so you can get back on the road and continue your trip with confidence.

Optional coverages
Additional add-ons may be available, such as coverage for awnings, attached accessories, and special equipment.

Before purchasing your insurance cover, it's important to compare quotes from different insurers, understand the coverage limits and exclusions, and consider any additional coverage options you may need based on your usage and preferences.

Swift offers bespoke insurance cover to help protect your motorhome or campervan, as well as offering a range of excellent benefits allowing you to tour at home and abroad with confidence. Not to mention cover for when your leisure vehicle is in storage.

Remember, you can only avoid insuring your motorhome or campervan by officially declaring it off the road. To do this you must contact the DVLA and apply for a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).


In summary, it’s important to have insurance cover in place for your motorhome or campervan as it is a legal requirement. Your vehicle can be a significant investment and specialist insurance will help protect your vehicle against damage, theft and accidents. Shop around to get the best possible price, and ensure the policy covers your specific requirements and needs.

Share this article: